Ottawa is a great place for riding a bicycle and over the years the popularity of biking for recreation or for getting to work or just around town, has increased dramatically.

If you are injured as a pedestrian or bicyclist and a car is involved, you may seek compensation to pay for the medical care you will need to get better or to cover income replacement. Bicyclists and pedestrians can claim the same benefits as someone injured in a car accident, as long as they have motor vehicle insurance. Government benefits are also available to accident victims who do not hold motor vehicle insurance.

Bicycle and pedestrian accidents can cause serious injuries including head, neck, and spine injuries, broken bones, internal injuries, loss of limb, paralysis, and death. Monick Grenier has experience representing accident victims and advocating for their rights with insurance companies within the Ontario provincial court system. Bicycle accident cases can get very complicated and involve a number of parties, including motor vehicle operators who may be held liable. It is worth noting that a car doesn’t even have to be moving for you to have a collision; “dooring,” when a motorist opens their door without looking and a cyclist runs into it. As well, some cycling accidents can be caused by dog attacks. There are leash laws and any dogs that are a risk to attack should be leashed, making their owners responsible.

Pedestrian accidents are quite common and at times can be very serious. It only takes a split second for an accident to occur and the injuries can lead to life-long disabilities. If you have been injured as a result of a pedestrian accident, the legislation states that it is the responsibility of the vehicle’s driver to prove the accident was not their fault. If you have suffered severe injury while riding your bike, walking on city streets, or in a crosswalk accident, contact Grenier Law today. Monick Grenier can help you claim the benefits to which you may be entitled and has the skills and expertise to ensure you are fully compensated for your losses.
(credit to Sharpe Beresh & Gnys Personal Injury for some of this content).

Monick Grenier offers a Free Consultation.


All cyclists in Ontario involved in car accidents have access to accident insurance benefits, even if the accident was their fault. Ontario roads can be dangerous for bicyclists, especially on our busy Ottawa streets. Most people don’t know what to do after a car accident, especially cyclists. People are usually not thinking clearly, or they may be in shock or injured. Ontario also has complicated insurance laws. It is easy to miss something that could have real impacts on your life.

Call 911 and follow the directions of the operator. If you’re not sure if someone needs medical care, err on the side of caution and call.

After a car accident, it is important to get information about the person who hit you. At a bare minimum, you want to learn:
1. their name
2. the name of their insurance company
3. their licence plate number
If you’re not able to, then have someone else gather this information for you. You will need this basic information in order to report the accident to the police and in order to learn what insurance company you may have insurance benefits through. Take a picture of the driver’s licence, licence plate and registration if they will let you.

Everyone involved in a car accident that causes more than $1,000 in damage has an obligation to report it to the police.
The police will arrive, interview witnesses and may issue a ticket against the person who caused the accident. The police investigation will hopefully preserve information about how the accident happened. For less serious accidents, you can attend a collision reporting centre to report the accident. Everyone involved in the accident should attend to file a report. A directory of collision reporting centres is listed here.

All cyclists in Ontario involved in car accidents have access to accident insurance benefits, even if the accident was their fault.
Accident insurance benefits cover reasonable costs for medical and rehabilitation benefits (physiotherapy, counseling, chiropractor, etc.) and even an amount for income replacement if you are not able to work. Even if you were not working or did not work for 26 of the 52 weeks before the accident, you may still be entitled to income replacement benefits.
Which insurance company do you apply to? If you have car insurance, then you can apply to your own insurance company. If you do not have car insurance, then you can apply to the insurance company for the driver who hit you. If the driver who hit you does not have car insurance, then apply to the motor vehicle accident claims fund as the coverage of last resort.

If you have home insurance, it may cover the damage to your bicycle. If you have an expensive bike, then it is worth checking with your insurance company to make sure the full replacement cost is covered.

If the insurance company stops paying your accident insurance benefits, then you can dispute their decision. Personal injury lawyers regularly help clients get compensation from insurance companies who unfairly stop paying benefits.

It is usually a good idea to go to the hospital after an accident as a precaution, especially if you hit your head. Regardless, it is important to follow up with your family doctor or a walk-in clinic afterwards. Your family doctor is the quarterback of your treatment team; they oversee your treatment and refer you to other medical specialists.
If you apply for accident insurance benefits or start a lawsuit, then some of your medical records will be produced to the insurance company. Always be honest and forthright when speaking to your medical providers because they will keep notes of your conversations. Tell your doctor about all of your symptoms and how severe they are. Do not exaggerate or be stoic. The insurance company may try to use your clinical records against you and argue that a lack of medical notations is proof that your injuries are minor or not related to the accident. Plus, if your doctor does not know about all of your symptoms, he or she cannot give you the proper treatment.

If the driver caused your accident and your injuries are serious enough, then you may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, housekeeping, medical expenses and lost income. Not all people injured in car accidents in Ontario are entitled to compensation. The government has created an insurance scheme that bars many people from getting compensation for their pain and suffering, housekeeping and medical expenses if their injuries are not serious or permanent. It is best to consult a lawyer because the process is complicated. A lawyer can also help you preserve important evidence and provide you with legal advice in order to ensure that you are legally protected while you recover from your injuries.